Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Negotiating the Amsterdam Streets.....


The cobblestone streets of Amsterdam are fast becoming the bane of my life...


These cobblestones are relatively flat compared to the hodge-podge that is the remainder of the Amsterdam streets!! Negotiating them in flats is hard enough and a few near-trips are hard to avoid. However, wearing heels walking to work is even more troublesome... Last night, in the pitch dark, my heel sank into the mud in between the cobbles... I had to remove my shoe, bend over on one leg, and yank my shoe out of the ground (and my foot was coooold!!).

Fast walking is not an option on these streets. Looking like an idiot as you topple to and fro in heels is a given. Finding a good shoe repairer (cobbles wear down heels in record time!) is a necessity.

As you attempt to negotiate the cobbles you must also remain alert at all times for cyclists, trams, metros, trains, and buses (remembering to look the "right" way when you cross the road / tram tracks is crucial - a skill I am yet to master). You must also ensure that you aren't walking in a cyclist lane - they're not the friendliest people and will zoom past as close as they can to give you a good fright if you're in their lane (though they will have no hesitation in cycling in the pedestrian zones).

Today I also learnt a valuable lesson - when it's this cold, that = ice on the cobblestones... I am yet to figure out how to ensure you don't slip on the ice... I thankfully managed to avoid icy patches this morning but I can see disaster looming on that front!


No comments: